Eat to Look Better: 4 Delicious, Healthy Recipes for Men
When you’re short on time but big on nutrition, you need healthy recipes that can be made in a flash. Here are four super-easy meals you can prep in just minutes. They're all low calorie and low effort but high in taste and nutrition — plus extra bonus points for ingredients that give men great-looking skin and hair!
1. Roasted Salmon and Brown Rice With SpinachFortify your body with this easy recipe. Salmon is tasty and requires very little cooking time. The brown rice gives you healthy starch for energy. Ingredients:
- 150 gram salmon fillet
- Handful of sesame seeds
- Dash of lemon juice
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Cook the brown rice according to package directions.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Drizzle the salmon with lemon juice, dip one side into a bowl of sesame seeds, then place it directly into the hot skillet sesame-side down. Cook for approximately four minutes, and then flip to cook for an additional minute.
- Melt butter in another pan. Add garlic and spinach, cooking just until spinach wilts.
- Plate and enjoy.
2. Green Curry Chicken and QuinoaGreen curry is one of the most delicious yet easiest recipes ever. If you can't get to a local spice store, instant green curry paste is good enough. Pair it with healthy coconut milk (as opposed to thick cream). Go for skinless chicken fillets or chunks, and mix things up by eating the curry with quinoa instead of rice. Quinoa makes a healthy alternative to rice and soaks up the coconut curry very well. Coconuts have essential vitamins C, E, B1, B3, B5 and B6, plus coconut milk is ideal for men who may be lactose intolerant. Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons green curry paste
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 chicken breasts
- Handful of basil
- 1 fresh lime
- Fish sauce to taste
- Cooked quinoa
- Empty the can of coconut milk into a wok and bring to a simmer.
- Add garlic, stirring until fragrant.
- Add chicken chunks, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add lime juice and a dash of fish sauce.
- Serve over cooked quinoa and top with torn fresh basil leaves.
3. Muscle-Building Steakhouse SaladBefore you turn your nose up at salad, rethink what you’ll toss into the bowl. It could turn out to be a delicious, power-packed meal you hadn’t imagined before. When you add beef to a salad, you get the benefits of iron and zinc, which can combat depression. Sprinkled with pomegranate seeds, you’ll have an extra boost of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory goodness. Ingredients:
- 150 grams sirloin steak
- Salt and pepper
- Rocket leaves
- Cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 avocado
- Roasted nuts, such as almonds
- Roasted seeds, such as sesame or pumpkin
- Equal amounts of lime juice, honey and olive oil for dressing
- After seasoning with salt and pepper, grill the steak the way you like it.
- Slice the steak thin, and then place on a bed of the rocket and cherry tomatoes.
- Slice the avocado for garnish, and serve the salad sprinkled with the seeds and nuts.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients, and drizzle over salad.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
4. Grab-and-Go Muesli( photo : Flaffy/Shutterstock.com ) When you need to get out of the kitchen fast, there’s nothing better than ready-made meals. A healthy cereal that combines oats, nuts, and fruit can give you instant energy and power when you’re feeling low. Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup of frozen berries or red currants
- 1 cup plain low-fat yoghurt
- 1 cup whole-grain granola or protein bar
- Fill a cup with berries.
- Fill the cup of berries with the yoghurt.
- Crumble the granola or protein bar over the top.
- Sweeten with honey.